Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Radio Radio

I don't listen to the radio, as a rule. I'm fasting to protest Triple M's cancellation of Get This.

I grew up on radio drama and comedy shows like The Goon Show, Absolute Power, In The Red, The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc. I'm a Radio 4 tragic.

I don't really get music radio though. It's the worst of both worlds. If I like the songs they're playing, I get irritated by the DJs talking over the intros and playing ads when I could be hearing more Adele (I'm assuming she's the kind of artist who gets played on radio). If I like the DJs, I get irritated when they interrupt their banter to play Nickelback. I realise this is a minority opinion.

But this bold new world of podcasting has been a godsend for the radio agnostic like myself. I get listen to Simon Mayo's Drivetime show with all the songs cut out. I can listen to Wittertainment without the bloody cricket score updates every six minutes. Not to mention I can listen to US and UK shows that air at three in the morning Australian time.

Anyway, the point of this article was really just to lead up to this interview I did on the wonderful Communication Breakdown programme with James and Emmeline on Monday night. Give it a listen:



My main purpose on the show was to plug the new Producer's Cut release of Benjamin Sniddlegrass and the Cauldron of Penguins, which can be viewed here:

No comments:

Post a Comment